Evangelical-Lutheran Parish of Oppenwehe.
From the 1957 church guide for the district of Lübbecke
is located northeast, adjacent to Wehdem Parish. With Preußisch-Ströhen it is
the farthest northern community within the Lübbecke church district as well as
in the Westphalian church province. Until the creation of its own parish in the
years following World War II, Oppenwehe, in church matters was part of the
Wehdem Parish. Local history stresses that the original Oppenwehe chapel, torn
down in recent years, was not a Filia [Latin for daughter] but a Soror
[Latin for sister] to the Wehdem church. In 1227 Oppenwehe is mentioned
by name for the first time. In that year the knight Helimbertus von Manen (Mehnen)
sold four homes in Oppenwehe to the Abbey in Levern. Later, the Abbey owned
almost the entire
It cannot be established, whether the Klus fell victim to fire during the Thirty-Year War or if it was torn down because it became too small. Oppenwehe’s population grew steadily. Today [~1957] it numbers about 1800. The fact is that a new chapel was built. It stood close to the Hauptstraße [main road]. Next to its altar stood a baptismal font and an offertory. From the acoustical shell above the pulpit hung a carved wooden dove, the symbol of the Holy Ghost. Seven times a year prayers were held in the chapel, on Sunday after Mary’s Birth and six times during the fasting season. Later, the Wehdem church became more and more the place of worship for the people of Oppenwehe. Only in spring and fall was communion occasionally celebrated in the chapel.
In 1800 Oppenwehe built a school near the chapel. The building still stands today. The old school building, a Heuerlinghaus [tenant house] of the Kolon Meier at No. 1, is gone. The teachers’ names could be read in the chapel on the bench next to the altar.
In 1808 a
cemetery was consecrated next to the chapel. It is the
World War I, the chapel became quite dilapidated and soon could no longer serve
church purposes (communion). Eventually it was torn down. The old linden tree,
which stood at the east end, provided shadow for the little church for many
years. The tree still stands today in the
The people of Oppenwehe built the present church in 1931. The parsonage had been erected a few years earlier. The church is no longer in the center of the village. Residents of the Moors [moors] reach it more easily. This makes it a better church center for the greater district of Oppenwehe.
In 1950 the Parish consecrated a new cemetery near the church. The monument to those killed in the War and those missing in both World Wars fits nicely between the church and the cemetery.
than twenty years now a district health nurse is officed in Oppenwehe. In
After World War II Oppenwehe became an independent parish. Finally the old wish came true: Oppenwehe is not a Filia (daughter) but a Soror (sister) to the Wehdem Parish.
spatial area of the community, ca. 2990 ha,
made it desirable for Oppenwehe to become an independent parish. With much love
and a willingness to sacrifice, the native people, influenced by their
environment, laid a gratifying and hopeful foundation. May the Lord give a firm
hold to this new place for God’s service and may it be a true confession of
what will be announced here in accordance with His Word.
 No. 2: Before the use of street addresses, dwellings were numbered in the order that they were built.
 hectar: land measure, one hectar equals 2.5 acres.